Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shepherd's Pie

I haven't cooked in a couple of days because my husband has been working the night shift.  Also, my sweet mother-in-law has been diagnosed with shingles, so she hasn't felt like going out to eat.  We have been stuck eating carry-out and leftovers for the past couple of days.  With time on my hands, I decided to look through some of my recipes.  I came across a recipe from last year's Vacation Bible School's cooking class that has become a favorite.  I can't believe I forgot to include it on my blog.  The pictures I am including are from Beech Grove Baptist Church's 2011 Vacation Bible School.  The recipe I'm sharing has several additions that you won't see in the pictures of the little ladies preparing the pie last summer.  Things typed in red are my additions to Mrs. Lynn's original recipe.



Ingredients for meat layer:

1 ½ lb. ground beef
1 tsp. onion powder
Mrs. Lynn shows the girls how to drain the ground beef.

1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 medium onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
3/4 cup ketchup
1 TBS Vinegar
1 TBS Sugar
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. horseradish
1 TBS Soy sauce
1 tsp. dried thyme

Brown ground beef.  Add onion and bell pepper and continue to cook until tender.  While meat is cooking add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Drain excess fat and return meat and vegetables to pan.   Stir in ketchup, vinegar, sugar, mustard, horseradish, soy sauce, and thyme.  Spread the meat mixture in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Ingredients for potato layer:


6 medium or 8 small potatoes
1 stick of butter 
(I just put a pat of butter and mix in 1/2 to 3/4 cup buttermilk)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black or white pepper

Here are my precious girls preparing the potatoes. 

Wash and peel potatoes.  Cut into cubes or slices and place in a large boiler.  Cover potatoes with water.  Bring to a boil, and continue boiling until potatoes are very soft.  Drain potatoes.  Add one stick of butter to hot potatoes. (Or use a pat of butter and the buttermilk I mentioned)  Mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher.  Add salt and pepper.  Use electric mixer to whip potatoes until they are smooth.  (Mrs. Lynn says the secret ingredient is to mix in a spoonful of mayonnaise.)  Spread the potatoes evenly over the top of the ground beef mixture in the casserole dish.

Miss Hannah let the little ladies' group add the cheese
and make the buttered toast.


Remaining ingredients:
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
I use 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup of cheddar.
Top the mashed potato layer with the two cups of cheese.  Place in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.  Serve with buttered toast and a salad.


... and here are all our ladies with their delicious creations...



No comments:

Post a Comment