Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Friday, March 2, 2012

A Little More Lip Balm

This lip balm is a little more complicated than my Vaseline and Kool Aid version, but not very much more.  It is organic to the extent that most of the ingredients are labeled "organic."  The exception would be the little bit of red food coloring I added to one of the tubes.  I actually decided to try this because one of Jackson's little buddies, Kylie, didn't get any of the balm we made at Valentine's Day because she has such sensitive lips.  I'm hoping Kylie-May will be able to use this one.



Ingredients:
1 oz. of organic beeswax pellets
3 TBS organic shea butter
2 TBS organic virgin coconut oil
1 TBS local honey
*essential oils




You can see that I used a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup in a small boiler containing water.  Over medium heat, melt the wax, shea butter, and coconut oil.  The wax will take the longest to melt.  When the first three ingredients have become a liquid, stir in the honey until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat and add the desired amount of essential oils.  I used about 15 drops of lemon and 10 drops of peppermint. 




Pour the mixture into prepared containers.  I bought the reddish containers at Wal*mart for 2/$1.00.  I saw similar containers for the same price at our local Dollar General.  I also re-filled empty lip balm containers (a flat tin and the 2 tubes) that I had cleaned.
You will notice that one of the tubes contains tinted balm.  I added just a little gel food coloring to achieve that color by dipping a tooth pick into the get and stirring it in the mixture.  Allow the mixture to cool.  Place lids on containers, and enjoy!


My Homemade Organic Lip Balm

No comments:

Post a Comment