Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Friday, March 16, 2012

Quick and Easy Shamrock Pie

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!  I hope you feel the luck of the Irish and the blessings from God today!  I won't be making any traditional Irish foods for the holiday, so I decided to at least make a green dessert for my family to enjoy.  My maiden name IS Fenley, so I MUST have a little Irish in me somewhere.


For the Crust:

1 package of low or reduced fat graham crackers, finely crumbled
   (Most boxes contain 3 individually wrapped packages)
2 heaping TBS of coconut oil
2 packs of artificial sweetener like Sweet -n- Low

Use hands or a food processor to crumble the graham crackers.  Add 2 packs of artificial sweetener and stir well.  Add coconut oil to crumbs and combine well.  I used my hands because it helped the coconut oil melt.

Carefully press the cracker crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a deep dish pie plate.

For the filling:

1 can fat free sweetened and condensed milk
The juice of three large limes
The zest of one lime
1 single serving container of fat free key lime pie yogurt
2/3 tub of sugar free Cool Whip
Green food coloring

1 extra lime for garnish

Zest one of the limes you will be juicing.  Set zest aside.  Juice the three large limes.  Set juice aside.  Empty the sweetened and condensed milk into a large metal or glass bowl.  Add the lime juice and beat until the mixture becomes thicker and creamy.  Stir in the lime zest and yogurt.  Add 5 drops of green food coloring and stir well. Fold in 2/3 of the tub of Cool Whip.  When all ingredients are combined well, carefully spoon it into the graham cracker pie crust.  Smooth the top evenly.

I then took the remaining 1/3 tub of Cool Whip and placed it in an icing bag with a large star tip.  I placed Cool Whip stars around the perimeter of the pie filling.  I sprayed a shamrock cookie cutter with Pam cooking spray and placed it in the middle of the pie.  Then, I filled the cookie cutter with the rest of the whipped topping, carefully pressing it into all areas of the cutter.  The cooking spray allowed me to lift the cookie cutter from the pie without removing any of the Cool Whip.  I then sliced the extra lime, cut those slices into fourths, and placed them around the pie for garnish.

Refrigerate the pie for at least one hour before serving.  Enjoy!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment