Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Friday, March 30, 2012

Cheesy Ham and Spinach "Garbage Bread"





I had never heard the term "garbage bread" in my life until I was reading a post from the blog http://emmalinaviolet.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/buffalo-chicken-garbage-bread/. This young woman explains that garbage bread is "basically a calzone except you wrap the pizza dough so its in layers." I liked the idea of wrapping or rolling the bread, so I set out to come up with a recipe using ingredients I could find in my refrigerator. Please note that it is not necessary to use the fat free or low fat versions of ingredients that I use.  The regular versions will work just fine.  My husband said he really liked this one, so I figure it is a keeper!



 Ingredients for filling:

1 8 oz package of fat-free cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 tsp dried and crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (not pictured)
1/2 tsp black pepper (not pictured)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (not pictured)
1 tsp hot sauce (more if you like)
1 tsp vinegar of your choice (I prefer rice vinegar)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.  I used my hands (as usual) because I like to leave a few chunks of cream cheese here and there throughout the bread. 



Ingredients for garbage bread:

1 roll of refrigerated pizza crust (don't use the thin crust variety)
1  9 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 to 1 1/2 cups diced ham (I got this at Hell*mart ... uh ... I mean Wal*mart)
3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
1 TBS finely chopped cilantro
1 TBS of butter or olive oil for coating the cooked bread when it comes out of the oven

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Open pizza dough and shape it into a rectangle on a greased cookie sheet.  Work with it slowly so it doesn't tear.  Allow dough to rest on sheet while you prepare the spinach and the filling.  Microwave the spinach for 5 to 6 minutes.  Drain in a colander.  Squeeze it VERY well between layers of paper towels or a towel.


Spread the filling onto the pizza dough leaving about an inch to 1 1/2 inches of dough around the perimeter with no filling on it.


Place the spinach, Parmesan cheese, ham, mozzarella cheese, and cilantro on top of the filling.


Fold in the edges of the dough that do not contain the filling as shown in the above photo.


Roll the dough "jelly roll style" as shown in the above photo.  Press the seam closed and make sure that the seam is on the bottom when baking.


Place the prepared and filled dough in the center of the cookie sheet, and place the cookie sheet in the center of your preheated oven.  Cook at 375 degrees for for 25 to 30 minutes. 


Remove from oven and brush the top with 1 TBS of butter or olive oil.  Let the bread rest for 5 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment