Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tie-Dye Cake Jars

Today I tried a couple of recipes from www.pinterest.com.  Jackson and I made our dessert first.  These were suppose to look like rainbows in a jar, but they look more like tie-dye t-shirts in a jar to us. 

1 box white cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fat free buttermilk
3 eggs
1/2 tsp each of vanilla, lemon, butter, and almond flavoring (optional)
bottles of various neon food coloring (at least 5 colors)
3 pint jars
1 shallow baking dish
Water
Tub of vanilla frosting
Colored candy sprinkles

Use electric mixer to blend cake mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, and flavoring for 2 minutes on high speed.
Divide the cake batter equally into 5 bowls.  Use food coloring to make each bowl of batter a different color.  I used about 15 drops for each bowl to get a very bright batter.



Spray 3 pint jars with cooking spray.  Spoon about 3 spoonfuls of each color into each jar.  Jackson and I used cake decorating bags and filled them with the batter.  I had placed a small decorating tip holder in each bag, but I'm sure you could just snip the end of the bag if you don't have one of the plastic tip holders.  I decided not to try to spoon the batter because I didn't want to get it all over the jars, and it was easier for Jackson to help me.




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place the 3 filled jars in a shallow pan, and fill the pan with 1/4 inch of water.  Place in preheated oven, and bake for 40 minutes.



 Carefully remove the cakes and let them cool completely.  The cakes may bulge slightly above the jars.


When the cakes have cooled, use a spoon to scoop out cake that has filled the mouth of the jar.  Make room for as much icing as you would like to use.  Top the jars with vanilla icing - store-bought or homemade.  Top the icing with colored candy sprinkles.  Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment