Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Friday, January 20, 2012

Taste of Home Beef Noodle Bake with a Twist of Sherri

I found this recipe in the Taste of Home cookbook that my mother gave me last Christmas. It was submitted by Evelyne Olechnowicz of Velencia, Pennsylvania, but, as you probably have guessed, I had to change it just a little. It's a weakness of mine. So, I will type it as I cooked it, and not as Ms. Olechnowicz submitted it. Her way yielded 29 grams of fat per serving!

1 1/2 pounds 93/7 lean ground beef
1 small onion finely chopped
1/2 medium bell pepper finely chopped
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 small can of sliced mushrooms
1 cup (8 oz) of light sour cream
1 (8 oz) package of fat free cream cheese, cubed and softened
2 Tablespoons sugar or 8 packages of Sweet and Low
1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp.dried basil
( I suppose you could use fresh herbs, but I would double the amount)
1 12 oz package of egg noodles
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup grated mozzarella
salt and pepper to taste

Cook beef, onions, and peppers together until beef is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, tomato sauce, sugar, garlic powder, oregano and basil. Return to heat and bring back to a strong simmer. Remove from heat again and stir in cream cheese and sour cream until thoroughly combines. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.

Cook noodles according to package directions while you are preparing the meat mixture. Drain. Place half of the noodles in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with the cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers without adding the mozzarella.

Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 3 - 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serves about 6 people (or 2 teenage boys).

Next time I might add a can of green chilies to the sauce to spice it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment