Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Remember

There are some things I don't remember about that terrible day in 2001.  I don't remember what the weather was like outside.  I don't remember what I was wearing. I don't remember leaving my room during 3rd period planning to go to the main office.  Unfortunately, I do remember the look on Mrs. Margaret Thomas's face when I entered the office.  I remember tears pouring from her eyes as she told me that our country was under attack.  I remember racing to the library to huddle in a back room with other teachers and watch as the tragedy unfolded.  I remember holding hands with fellow teachers as Mrs. Stephanie Richardson said a prayer.  I remember walking back to my classroom feeling so helpless.  Worst of all, I remember the looks on my 8th graders' faces when I told them what had happened. After that, the day is just fuzzy flashes of news reports.  I don't remember driving home.  I don't remember having dinner.  I don't remember going to my cousin Kris's house.  In the weeks that followed, I DO remember how our country came together, and I DO remember how American patriotism was EVERYWHERE.  I never want to feel as shocked and devastated as I did on 9/11/01, but I wish this country's citizens always could remember the feeling of unified American pride that we had after that horrific day.

2 comments:

  1. I was still teaching in Clayton County then. What I remember is being in the cafeteria for a fundraiser kick-off and my teammate coming up to me and whispering that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. I don't know how she found out. We didn't know what to think, and we were told the we could NOT turn on the TV, so we tried to sneak and get any news that we could from the computer, which at that time wasn't much. I don't remember much after that other than the shock, horror, and tears as the day unfolded. I do remember sitting at home that night and actually being thankful that my mother wasn't alive to see it. She had just died that July. Yesterday, as my warm-up, I asked my students what they knew about September 11, and I actually had some that didn't know anything, or what they knew was random. I know that they were only 4 at the time, but it makes me wonder why their parents haven't taught them more. It is part of my standards, so I get to talk about it. It is hard though because I can never make them actually understand the horror of that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really hard to believe that anyone would know NOTHING about that day. Even Jackson knows some planes flew into some big buildings, and he just turned 3 in July.

    ReplyDelete