Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged

Autumn In Tennessee - The Spot Where I Was Engaged
by Sherri Wear 2008

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lip Gloss/Balm

Well, I admit it.  I am officially addicted to Pinterest.  I feel like I'm cheating on Facebook, but I just can't stay away from it.  I have found so many recipes in the past week, and I just don't mean food.  I have made my own laundry detergent, fabric softener, mopping solution, disinfectant spray, fake Febreeze, and much more.  I haven't even taken time to tell y'all about all of them.  Sorry.  I've been caught up in a cleaning fit.  Today, I tried two new DIY recipes.  I made lip gloss and liquid soap.  I'll go into the liquid soap later when I perfect the recipe.  It was still a little "snot-like" tonight, but it does the job of keeping little hands clean.  I decided to share the lip gloss recipe because you might decide to give it as Valentine's gifts for little ladies.  I've made it for my son's female church buddies.  Now, I have to find something for the little males.  <sigh>  Anyway, the recipe I used came from the following blog.
http://www.meetthedubiens.com/2011/01/make-your-own-lip-gloss.html  I am including my own photos because the above blogger chose the microwave route, while I did it "old school."

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of petroleum jelly
  • 1 regular size package of Kool-Aid

Ingredients - I used 2 small tubs of petroleum jelly to equal 1 cup.






Place the petroleum jelly in a metal boiler and heat on medium-low heat.  Stir constantly until the jelly has turned to liquid.  BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IT IS VERY HOT!  Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.

As the mixture begins to cool, stir in the package of Kool-Aid.  Stir until the Kool-Aid dissolves. I chose to use cherry because of the pink tint.  You may use any flavor you choose because the color will not show on the lips.  Allow the mixture to cool until it begins to thicken a little.


 
Pour mixture into gloss-sized containers.  I bought these at Wal*mart.  They were priced 2 for $.97 and found with the travel-sized merchandise.  You can probably find a much better deal if you shop around on the Internet a little bit.  Allow the gloss/balm to cool COMPLETELY before placing the lids on the containers.



VOILA!  Lip gloss fit for a 4-year-old, or even a 42-year-old in my case.  Don't worry if some of the Kool-Aid can still be felt here or there.  I just think of it as an exfoliant for my dry winter lips.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment